||wPuri sermonis amator
||Politics and Pop Culture.
And occasionally informative, amusing, or bizzare non sequiturs.
Matt's in charge here, others can post.
||wWednesday, March 05, 2003
Matt's Presidential History Quiz: Answers
1. Who is the only President in the past 50 years to not go to war?
2. Who has the record for the number of separate military engagements?
3. Who was the only President to run unopposed (besides Washington, who didn't "run")?
4. Which President is believed by most scholars to have been gay?
5. Served the shortest time in office - barely a month.
William Henry Harrison
6. My favorite President.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
7. "The factions soon agreed, he's just the man we need, to bring about victory."
James K. Polk
8. He was the only one of the first five presidents to not own slaves at any point in his life.
9. The only Southern Senator to side with the North during the Civil War.
10. He was so fat that the White House had to install a new bathtub for him to use.
William Howard Taft
11. The War of 1812 was also known as "Mr. _____'s War".
12. As President, he expanded the Vietnam War into Cambodia, a secret war without congressional approval, which resulted in the meaningless deaths of millions of innocent civilians.
13. His major claim to fame would be as a plot point in "Die Hard: With a Vengeance".
Chester A. Arthur
14. Tennessee politician who won the popular vote but lost the election to the son of a former president. Hmmm.
15. The first and only president with a PhD.
16. He's from Abilene, Kansas - who wants to go visit the Library with me?
Dwight D. Eisenhower
17. Shares a name with a furry blue muppet on Sesame Street.
18. And he's a cat.
19. Father of the University of Virginia.
20. The stock market crashed his first year in office, and he got to preside over the first 3 years of the Great Depression.
21. That stupid duck cartoon is named after him.
22. "I will not seek, and I will not accept the nomination of my party for another term as your president."
23. Alright, I can think of nothing interesting about Rutherford B. Hayes, so this one's a gimme.
Rutherford B. Hayes
24. Campaign slogan: "Tippecanoe And _____ Too"
25. Karl Rove's role model for George W. Bush during the primary campaign.
26. I'm a little Teapot Dome Scandal, short and stout.
Warren G. Harding
27. Known as "Young Hickory"
28. Starred in "Bedtime for Bonzo".
29. The "Little Magician" who presided over the first Depression.
Martin van Buren
30. The last President who didn't have a college degree.
Harry S Truman
31. Former director of the C.I.A.
George H. W. Bush
32. The meat in the Grover Cleveland sandwich.
33. "If McClellan is not using the army, I should like to borrow it for a while."
34. The Accidental President
35. "Silent Cal" (Ok, the guy didn't say or do much of anything, so that's all I have.)
36. Functionally Illiterate Mexican War Hero
37. Was shot while campaigning for President AND GAVE THE SPEECH BEFORE GOING TO THE HOSPITAL. I mean, Geez.
38. Was elected by the U.S. House of Representatives after Henry Clay withdrew and threw him his support. Later appointed Clay to be Secretary of State. Insisted there was no connection.
John Q. Adams
39. Served in the national guard during the Vietnam War and went AWOL for a year.
George W. Bush
40. Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?
Ulysses S. Grant
41. "I believe this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to earth."
John F. Kennedy
42. Died from bleeding to death, because his doctor was bleeding him to cure a cold that he'd caught while fleeing his mistress's house through the window in his underwear when her husband came home.
So, was it good for you?
Matthew Carroll-Schmidt at 10:04 AM